Jimmy Herring Joins WSP (A Pauly Exclusive - At Least Here)

I first heard this from my buddy Kevin when I was eating at his restaurant last week. I basically said GTFOH!!

I said to Kevin and myself, "This is not going to be a good thing." Kevin Darling (I just had to give your last name - sorry darling.) agreed almost too whole heartedely. But he tends to be a cynical bastard. He is a soundboard snob who can't appreciate the richness of a good audience recording. (He does love the Healy matrix recordings, though.)

Yadda, yadda, yadda...

Anyway, I should get on with explaining myself.

My first aural experience I had with Jimmy was the same day I got on the bus - 2/9/01. I was amazed with the interplay between Jimmy and Warren. They were two fret boards as one. I saw them 24 times in the following years. They never ceased to blow me away. It is not easy to duet with Warren Haynes. Jimmy did it to perfection.

Then the Other Ones Reunion Show came along. Jimmy was picked to be "Jerry". Da Pickl insisted we go to the shows - with a stop at the Fabulous Fox in St. Louis to see Phil & Friends before the Alpine Valley shows. It was a kick-ass road trip, with the added bonus of meeting Tania and Lucy out of the blue to camp with.


Anything interesting about the hat?
Free show from my list if you know.

Those shows were awesome - Jimmy did well, though his solos did seem contrived. Those were big shoes to fill. He did a great job. (Those two days of festival were freakin' awesome. It was very hot and humid. Sperm were coming out my pores. Good Lord! I hope I didn't sweat my way into being a father.)

The subsequent two years of "The Dead" shows were 83.2% great. I saw 10 shows at Red Rocks, two at Jones Beach, and two at Camden. Jimmy did great year one, and with Warren year two was even better. (Hmmm - I see a Warren theme...)

I actually met Jimmy back-stage in 2004 at Red Rocks. The dude is genuine (pronounced "Jen-u-INE"!!!. He was psyched to be on another tour. And he is as tall as I am ((6'2") - Phil is shorter than I thought. And, on a side note - Bobby's eyes are almost freakishly cross-eyed.))

Was there a point to this? Oh Yeah...

I am a bit worried that Jimmy won't be able to cut it. I remember reading that George McConnell was trying his best to emulate Houser. He was told to be himself, and he eventually came around and produced some amazing guitar work (Vegoose at Thomas and Mack really comes to mind.)

Can Jimmy do the same?

Jimmy really learned improvization from his stint with Col. Bruce Hampton in the Aquarium Rescue Unit. Phil picked him for his fingering and sound (the dude can play extremely fast!) He and Warren going full bore in a PLQ jam is a sound to behold.

My hope is that Jimmy FEELS the WSP music he is playing and doesn't try to over-tech-fret it.

Make me cream my pants durning Vegoose, Jimmy!!! (cream as in emotionally - not as in self dilly-whacker smacker. That is what the Alice-In-Wonderland and Wiz Dorothy's are for.)

Comments

Popular Posts