Sonic Bloom + Widespread Panic

This weekend was jam-packed with music. Thursday night I headed out to Red Feather Lakes, CO with a good friend to attend the Sonic Bloom festival. Sonic Bloom was organized by Zilla, a side project of the Drummer for the String Cheese Incident.

The setting was beautiful- a big meadow up in the mountains- and the weather was cool during the day. Friday night we saw a PA set by 3 of the members of Sound Tribe Sector 9- I liked it better than many of the other PA sets I had seen in the past because Hunter was playing guitar. I recognized parts of Somesing, Blu Mood, Lo Swaga, Water Song, and a couple of others.

Friday night was very cold up there, so it was perfect for our costumes. We dressed up as Bert & Ernie and made a lot of people laugh. Pictures to come.

Satruday morning I got up, rallied the troops to break camp and headed back to Denver to catch Widespread Panic at Red Rocks. I got in early and secured a large place via taping down a tarp for my group on row 23 in the Schools Zone.

Here is the setlist:

06/23/07 Red Rocks, Morrison, CO
1: Pigeons > Better Off, All Time Low, Down, Party At Your Mama's House > Blackout Blues, Pickin' Up The Pieces, Airplane > Rock

2: Pleas > Chilly Water, Thought Sausage, Aunt Avis > Second Skin > Greta > Barstools and Dreamers > Machine > Barstools and Dreamers*, Dyin' Man* > Jam* > Drums* > Red Hot Mama*

E: The Take Out > Smoking Factory > Porch Song, End Of The Show

* with DJ Logic on turntables[DJ Logic performed during setbreak; Entire show with Edie Jackson, sign language interpreter]

I loved the whole show. Airplane>Rock was the highlight of the first set for me. The second set was fantastic. I will definitely want to listen to this show a few times- I thought that Jimmy Herring’s guitar work was simply amazing. Huge energy from the crowd in Chilly Water, Greta was a great sing-along, The Barstools>Machine>Barstools sandwich was rockin. JB ended the evening perfectly with End of the Show.

After the show we had some good hangout time/post parties at a friend’s apartment and then some late night pizza and TV at my place. At 4am we watched the documentary Okie Noodling on PBS-wow, what a trip.

Sunday I definitely was moving a little slow, but still made it to the show.

06/24/07 Red Rocks, Morrison, CO

1: From the Cradle, One x One, Who Do You Belong To?, Gradl, Clinic Cynic, Sleepin Man > Stop Breaking Down Blues, Sleepy Monkey > Good People > Wondering
2: Little Kin, Bust it Big > Jack, Diner > Fixing to Die, Space Wrangler, Can't Find My Way Home, Ain't Life Grand

E: Surprise Valley > Morning Dew! > Mr. Soul [DJ Logic performed during set break]

I enjoyed this show but they played a few songs that I don’t listen to very much. More of the southern rock vibe out of this show. Again, weather and crowd was great. I thought the Surprise Valley>Morning Dew encore was my highlight.

In both of these shows I loved Jimmy’s guitar. His tone is powerful and he nails the Mikey written lead lines that are familiar from the records. At times he plays a lot of notes, but overall I love his ripping and the band really moves with him.

Pictures and video to come...

Comments

Anonymous said…
The show on Sunday night was amazing! The energy was great and Red Rocks is gorgeous! I've got a couple of pictures up at coldleftovers.com

Popular Posts