1st Quarter Results 2009 Mix by BTreotch


2009. A new President, Phish is back and hey, it's the year of the motherfucking Ox. The Ox is a powerhouse. Hauling shit, ploughing fields and generally getting shit done. But, the Ox is also castrated. Which reminds me of the new administration a bit. And, well, didn't Trey just give his left nut in Hampton? Thankfully there's been some great, sack-strong music the first few months of the year. These are my 13 favorite tracks that I've downloaded, bought or otherwise acquired since January. ITunes tells me I've added about 6 gigs and just over a 1000 songs in that time.

My friends back in Dallas have always been great resources for quality hip-hop: in the past they've turned me on to Beatnuts, Dilated Peoples, Del the Funky Homosapien, Kanye, Aceyalone and Aesop Rock to name a few. Over the holiday break they were playing K'Naan - a Somalian born musician who is pushing the idea of what a rapper is. His three albums are strong, though at times disjointed. "Wash It Down" is the lead track from his 2005 album The Dusty foot Philosopher. The Swedish trio of Peter, Bjorn & John are as tasty as salmonella-free PB&J's. Their new album Living Thing is as good as their first and "Nothing To Worry About" is just as anthemic as their first hit "Young Folks."

DOOM - formerly MF Doom - is my favorite rapper. His clever rhymes juxtaposed on top of his uniquely syncopated cadence make everything else, sound like, well, everything else. His new album Born Like This has Charles Bukowski samples and lines like: "Civil liberties / These little titties’ abilities riddle me / Middle C / Give an MC a rectal hysterectomy / Electron removal of the bowels / Foul technically / Don’t expect to see the recipe / Until we receive the check as well as the collection fee / More wreck than section Z / What you expect to get for free / Shit from me / History."

Smog is a band I totally missed. "Hit The Ground Running" comes from the 1999 album Knock Knock, and if it wasn't for a good friend's Facebook application informing me of her top 5 all-time albums, I may have never heard it. Animal Collective dropped Merriweather Post Pavilion in January and the hipsters went ape-shit. The fluffing has died down, but the album is still holding up. No doubt that as the wookies are scraping the last crumb of molly from their pockets, Animal Collection will be blowing their frazzled minds during their late night Bonnaroo set (crosses fingers).

What have you guys been loving this year?

Comments

Pauly said…
As always... awesome stuff bro.

Your musical tastes gives me a psychedelic hangover. And sometimes a woodie too.
the joker said…
xc3ll3nt work
Anonymous said…
My ears perk up like an elf whenever I see a NEW BTREOTCH MIX posted...

I'm SO excited!

Agreed, Pauly.

Even down to the woodie....
Anonymous said…
Post Script:

I love how the genre of music for this album is "good shit"...that's what it showed up as on my computer.

abso-fuckin'-lutely!
BTreotch said…
word.. Computers are becoming smarter I suppose..
A. Dult said…
Fun Mix.

I like the new Camera Obscura and Richard Swift.

You are cooler than a grounder to Steve Buchelle.

-A.D.
BTreotch said…
Adult - this new Camera Obscura is very nice
Tender Branson said…
Hilarious. Now let's find out about the mix...

Popular Posts