McLovins ~ Bearsville Theater, Woodstock NY 5/14/10

Last Friday night I headed down to Woodstock, NY to see headliners Max Creek with opening act the McLovins. In a town full of musical history both past and present the McLovins made some of their own. I was truly impressed with the talent Jake (drums/vocals), Jason (bass) and Jeff (guitar) possess. And I got to spend a little time meeting and talking to the boys and their parents. Turns out Jake's mom, Carol and I share an employer and a running habit.

The guys only got to play a one hour set. I was fortunate to have access to the Set List but being a noob I had to reach out to get the names of the tunes I recorded on the videos I shot. Thanks to Carol Huffman and Tyler Curtis (teenage music blogger and a drummer himself) who helped me out with the names and to Jake for posting them on the McLovins Facebook page. Jake has a voice that can go reggae, to Elvis Costello-ish to Talking Heads-ish with a bit of a blues rasp.

A little history: The McLovins burst on the scene when their video of them performing Phish's YEM (You Enjoy Myself) hit You Tube in November 2008:


This year the McLovins move from the tent at Gathering of the Vibes to one of the main stages. They will also be appearing at Mountain Jam, Nateva and StrangeCreek music Festivals. They recently performed a sold-out gig at Connecticut's Infinity Hall (another great venue in the spirit of Bearsville) They have progressed from doing covers, to writing and recording their own music. They have garnered attention from top sound guys and the likes of Tom Marshall.

I shot two video's so I'll let you see for yourself what the buzz is all about.








The McLovins will be opening for 7 Walkers, featuring Bill Kreutzmann of the Grateful Dead, George Porter Jr. and Papa Mali at Troy's Revolution Hall on Thursday 05/27/10. I'll be there.

Comments

Unknown said…
Very nice review, this band is something, the music gets right under your skin, I'll see you at Rev Hall :-)
Unknown said…
Two of the best things last Friday night was meeting you and Kim!! :) Fantastic review & vids. Can't wait to hang out with you guys again at 7 Walkers Thursday night!!!

Popular Posts