Kurt Cobain, Twenty Years Later

Twenty years later. Shit flies by real fast. Kurt Cobain "killed himself" twenty years ago to this day.

I wasn't a huge Nirvana fan in college, but I understood the importance of his so-called suicide. Cobain's unexpected suicide was the first celebrity death from a fellow member of Generation X. This was in an era before social media. Heck, I didn't even have email yet so we had to rely on CNN and MTV to get information on the suicide.

April 1994 was a fun month for me.  I was a senior in college and on the verge of graduating and getting the fuck out of Hotlanta. Between Grateful Dead spring tour and a Phish swing through the south, I caught a dozen shows that month. I pretty much blew off the last month of school to eat mushrooms and follow around my favorite bands through the south. Nirvana was not on that list of bands that I "will drop everything and road trip five hours" to see. I only saw Nirvana once... more out of curiosity than anything else. I really wish I wrote down my impressions of Nirvana because I can't recall anything from that night.

Here is a pretty decent performance of Nirvana when they headlined the Reading Festival in 1992..


And here's one of my favorite documentaries about the grunge scene... Hype!


Update... check out what Scotty B had to say about the 20th anniversary of Cobain's death.

Comments

Popular Posts